accel groups

Hello,

Could anyone inform me what the functions gtk_accelerator_parse(), gtk_accelerator_name() and
gtk_accel_group_activate() do?
I'm trying to call a function that is in a menu by simulating the key press event. So in the on_key_press
event of the main window, I get the accelerator groups of that window with gtk_accel_groups_from_object() and
then I loop through the list that this function returns with g_slist_foreach(). I tried to do a
gtk_accelerator_parse() on every group that the window has (giving it the pressed key as arguments) but that
did not work :-( Looking through the gtk source code confused me even more about the function. I cannot find
any documentation on these functions, can someone explain or give me a link to an application that uses them
so that I can see how they work? Thanks.

cheers,

roel