----- Original Message -----
From: "Liam Quin" <liam holoweb net>
To: "Bluez Zhao" <zhyforever 263 net>
Cc: "gtk-list" <gtk-list gnome org>; "gtk-devel-list"
<gtk-devel-list gnome org>; "gtk-app-devel-list"
<gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Sent: 2001年1月5日 4:02
Subject: Re: Display Memory

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 03:30:53PM +0800, Bluez Zhao wrote:
Hi everybody,
I want to get the image from display memory directly but not by calling
XGetImage.
Is there anyone who can tell me how can I do both on Solaris and Linux?
In general you can't do this.

Solaris OpenWindows has a direct X frame system that lets you talk to
the video card (framebuffer) directly, uing semaphores to lock the
X server out, but it is not easy to use.

You can use the direct memory X extension to share a single image,
using System V shared memory.  This is a limited resource, and is
not always available (on Linux, it's a kernel option), so your
program needs to work without it.

If you are trying to implement a screenshot, look at other programs
that do so (e.x. xwd -root).o

If you are hoping for more speed, writing to video memory is not going
to be fast on Solaris as using X; the X libraries will talk to
the hardware directly when it would be faster, too.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net -
http://www.holoweb.net/