how to update a gdk_pixmap after creation

I have a pixmap that is created and put onto a page when the application
starts.  This is put into a hbox which is on a notebook page (say page
2).  I am loading this pixmap from a file by passing it a filename.

Now, depending on what is done on notebook page 1, I want to update the
pixmap on page 2.  I will then have a new filename that will be needed
to get the correct picture for the display.

I cannot figure out how to do this as once the pixmap is created it does

not seem to be available for further access or change.

Can anyone help me here?

Ed Davison
Sr. Systems Analyst/Database Administrator
McCombs School of Business
(512) 475-8090
http://www.bus.utexas.edu/services/cbacc/dbsupport