Toolbar: not able to display icons without text!

Hi,

I am not able to display icons without text in some of my toolbars.  The
result is GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH whatever GtkToolbarStyle I use
(GTK_TOOLBAR_TEXT, GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS).

In a first window, there is one toolbar which works as intended.  In a
second window, there are three toolbars.  Only the first one reacts to a
style change.

It doesn't seem to be related to the fact that I use radio buttons,
toggle buttons or simple buttons.  It doesn't matter if I set the style
when I create the toolbar or after, with gtk_toolbar_set_style. I cannot
say I have done extensive tests, though.

I am using Gtk+ 1.2.10.

I have found a message on the list about a similar problem in June 2000,
with no answer.  I also looked at the gtktoolbar.c code, but this is not
evident.

Does somebody have a hint?

Thanks!