Re: Pb w/ gc, pixmap and darea

Hi Taura,

> >Now you might want to use the GDK RGB buffers if you plan to
>
> Eeee, but they are so darn slow. I have an app that opens a screen-size

  Now with respect to your specific issue, if you feel that it would
be faster on client side only operations and you don't plan to do anything
fancy then you do not need Gdk RGB buffers.

My scenario is this: I have total control over the hardware (cue manic laugh). I know the physical display format. I never need to care about my application running correctly on any other hardware. I work internally with 8:8:8 RGB but the display is physically 5:6:5. All that concerns me is that I want a faster way of rendering content onto the screen. I get much faster results using the VESA framebuffer console instead of GDK buffers, but I don't want to do that because one of my subprograms works much better if it can use xvm to change resolution temporarily on the fly.

However unfortunatly, a lot of users prefer to use Gdk RGB buffers
(I don't know why though). But I just wanted to warn you on that
as Gdk RGB buffers apparently are a strong trend. *G*

Heheh. They _are_ very simple and intuitive to work with, I'll say. You can take code written for direct hardware access (frame buffer) and work with an RGB buffer, occasionally calling gdk to draw that buffer onto the screen.

> about the bottom sixth of the screen doesn't get rendered. It seems that
> gdk_draw_rgb_image sends the image in roughly 128x128-sized blocks; I can
> see them being drawn.

Well Gdk RGB buffers does use SHM as I recall, but if you plan to use

This is weird. How come it is being rendered in blocks then? It seems to be adding block copy operations to some kind of task queue, and these are getting executed one by one as a background process which will halt if I don't force some idle time in my own process.

a GdkPixmap only, and do everything on server side (no GdkImages
or anything) then you don't need the Gdk RGB buffers.

Pixmaps are only supported under 2.x though, aren't they? What exactly do I have to do to move from my current model to pixmaps?

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Embedded Engineer, Digi-Frame Inc.
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Tel (914) 937-4090 9am-6:30pm M-F ET