Re: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

On Tuesday, August 28, 2001, at 04:38  AM, Sebastian Knappe wrote:

I'm using gtk+ 2.0 (gtk+-1.3.5, pango 0.16) and have some trouble with string settings whenever I try to set a string to a label or something like that, that contains charakters like 'äüß' etc. I get the message: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
and gtk doesn't display the label

gtk+ 2 uses UTF-8 for all strings. If you want to include characters other than ASCII characters, you have to use the UTF-8 encodings. If you have to have a string in some other encoding, you need to convert it to UTF-8 before passing it to gtk+ calls. Many strings should show up in UTF-8 already.

One way to convert a string that's in some other character set is to use the new g_locale_to_utf8 call from <glib/gconvert.h> or one of the other calls in that file.

    -- Darin