Expose problem

Hello. I'm having an annoying problem with the expose event. I have a
table full of buttons; I detach it and attach a new table of the same
size and the same internal grid instead, but the half of it is full of
buttons and the remaining area has a pixmap. After the change is made,
the pixmap paints itself for the first time completely, and then it
suffers a new slow painting process, by areas that are of the same size
of the buttons that used to be there.
I followed the problem and there are spurious expose events that I can
catch and filter from within the handler of the parent window, but that
doesn't solve the problem, as obviously there are expose events that are
needed, for example, to paint the pixmap when another window covers it
partially, and I can't tell which one is useful and which one is not.
So, I would like to know if you are aware of this problem, and how can I
fix it in a reasonable way. I can send a small program to show this, if
anyone's interested. My configuration is: GTK 1.2.10 (using gtk--
1.2.5), Linux i386 RedHat 7.1, gcc 3.0.

Omar Barneto