GTK use of function keys

I have a control screen with buttons representing the keyboard function
keys.  I want to allow the operator to click the screen button or press the
function key on the keyboard.  I have code working that detects the event
"key_press" but I am unable to detect any function keys.  The event->length
value is always 0 for these keys.  GIMP uses the "F1" key for help so I know
this is do-able.  What am I missing?

                Ken Norris                      Engines and Systems
                Sr. Staff Engineer                                    11100
N. Oracle Rd.
                Software Engineering                        Tucson, AZ
85737

(520) 469-6032
        kendall norris honeywell com    (520) 469-5975  Fax