Re: Recovering msgs from system() or fork() with Gtk+

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Patrice St-Gelais wrote:

Hi,

I want to be able to start any command / application that could be given
by the user from a gtk+ application:

(1)    The task must be independant from parent gtk+ app, so that the
user can continue the use the parent;

(2)    I want to recover the error message, when the user gives a not
executable string, so that I can display it in a Gtk window.

This problem is not specifically a Gtk problem but a problem
on how processes communicate.

You should read chapter 14.2 and onwards in Richard Stevens book
"Advanced programming in the Unix Environment" ISBN 0-201-56417-7
where he explains this in great detail.

Göran Hasse

Göran Hasse            email: gh raditex se     Tel: +46 8 694 92 70
Raditex AB             http://www.raditex.se    Fax: +46 8 442 05 91
Sickla Alle 7, 1tr                              Mob: 070-5530148
131 34  NACKA, SWEDEN