GtkList: Using arrows to select?

I have a GtkList (mode GTK_SELECTION_SINGLE) with labels containing
file names.  I'd like the user to be able to select the next or
previous file with the up or down arrow keys.  It looks like the arrow
keys will move the "cursor" up and down, but then you have to hit the
Return key to actually make the selection.  Not quite what I want.  I
couldn't see any key-pressed-event's coming out.  How can I do this?
(I'm at the edge of my event horizon :-)

Thanks!

Bob