Drawing charts with gtk

Hello,

        I am trying to write a program for linux which performs the same task
as the "scanner" program for windows(dowload url below). This
program scans the hard disk and displays a very handy chart of all the
directories on your HD. The levels of the directories are arranged
concentrically. This makes it very easy to see what is taking up a lot of
space on the HD.

Anyway, my question is how can I draw arcs in Gtk? I've tried to wade
through the documentation on gtk's website, but it is horribly lacking. Right
now I'm just popping up a main window, placing a drawing area inside of
creating a graphics context, and calling gdk_draw_arc. I don't see
anything drawn in the main window, at all.

    Also, this program needs to be able to tell when the mouse is over
different parts of the chart, since clicking on any of the directories will
zoom in on that dir to show more detail. How can I set up widgets or event
areas which are shaped like an arc, so that I can detect those events?

Thanks for any help you can give!
-Ron Roth

dowload the scanner program from my website:
http://www.imsa.edu/~bungajr/scanner.exe