Re: A slight flicker...any general rules

From my own experience I believe the flicker is related to the operating
system.  I use GTK 1.2 and have an app that runs under SCO Unix 5.0.5 and
under Solaris 8.  I also change the colors of buttons and there is quite a
bit of flicker under SCO but none under Solaris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
To: antony claire co jp <antony claire co jp>
Cc: gtk-list gnome org <gtk-list gnome org>; gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
<gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 23:08
Subject: Re: A slight flicker...any general rules

Antony Stace <antony claire co jp> writes:

I have a GTK app.  It has a window with a table in it.  This table has
about 20 event boxes in it.  If I change the colour or one of these
event boxes every 0.5 seconds the whole of the table flickers a little.
Can someone suggest any general rules/pointers to avoid flickering.

When you're talking about general flicker throughout GTK, there's not
too much you can do as an application author. GTK+ 2.0 won't flicker
at all in this case, but that's not helping you much since you are
using 1.2.

I do wonder why changing the color causes flicker though; you should
only see this flicker if you are somehow causing a size recalculation
on the table.

Havoc