gtk_main & gtk_main_quit

Hi to everybody,
    this is my first letter.
I have this little problem: I need sometime to show a modal dialog before the main part of the program, but when I show that dialog
then the window does not respond, excepted for a little (on the fly) clock redrawn every second. I'll be more clear, I summarize the program sequence:
1. gtk_init()
2.if requested draw a modal dialog
3. gtk_main()
4. when the user click OK does a gtk_main_quit()

5. Draw a GtkWindow
6. Draw a GtkToolbar
7. gtk_main()
8. do events until user click exit
9. gtk_main_quit()

The trouble is when I did the points 2, 3 and 4 but if they was(?) skipped GtkWindow work correctly. I tried also to re-init Gtk.
I use Gtk 1.2

Thanks
Garbellotto Vittorio