Re: Help on MDI

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Alexander  Thomas wrote:

 Hi,
I am developing a banking software with Gtk+ and C.
How to create a Multiple Document Interface (MDI), just like in VB. My
requriment is to open a window within another. so that any operation on the
parent window also affects the child.

    Please reply to :-
      kca_alexander mailcity com

 This was discussed a lot of times. In short, you can't (you'll have to
implement window manager in order your app look like MDI in windows). Read
archives of gtk-list.
 If all you need is "that any operation on the parent window also affects the
child" then you can use window groups for that (there is a concept of window
leader for given window, when leader is moved, all windows for which it's the
leader are also moved, same for minimization and iconification).
 Not all Window managers support it - but recent enlightenment (definitely)
and sawfish (probably) support it. All you need for setting window leader for
particluar window is to call

void        gdk_window_set_group            (GdkWindow *window,
                                             GdkWindow *leader);
 (note - args are not GtkWindow)!

Advance thanks

 Best regards,