Re: Fun with multithreaded gnome application

Look up semaphores in the docs ... sorry, lots of E-mail to respond to ... :-P

Adam Cherrett wrote:

From reading various posts on similar situations, this is the way I intend
to solve the problem:

1. Open a pipe to communicate between the two threads
2. Send a 'message' with occasional increments in the progress gauge
   (actually a pointer to some mutex-protected shared memory to save
    time)
3. Wake up the main thread whenever a message arrives and act on it.

Firstly, does this sound like a sane solution?

Secondly, how do I arrange for the gtk main loop to watch the pipe and run a
callback function whenever something arrives?