Am I wasting my time with the "pixmap" theme engine ?

Title: Am I wasting my time with the "pixmap" theme engine ?

Please let me know via e-mail if I would get a better response by redirecting this topic somewhere or to someone else. Thanks.

I am on the verge of converting or deriving a version of the "pixmap" theme engine that uses GdkPixbuf rather than GdkImlib. My motivation is to try to get the GdkRGB-like performance one would expect, and for the code to be portable to at least UNIX and Win32 platforms. Basically, I need a fast-pixmap theme under Win32, but cannot seem to find anything theme-related that is currently compilable or compatible against its core port.

Has anyone solved this for Win32 ? does anyone have a compiled Imlib for Win32 ?
Even if so, what makes it much slower than GdkPixbuf and GdkRGB ?

Would I be wasting my time ? Has anyone already done this or come extremely close to it ? I am certainly not the best person for the job, but I know I can work my way through it.

The following is from Redhat Labs GTK+-1.4 Who's Doing What;
        "GTK+-1.4's widgets have been enhanced to provide a superior user-interface experience. Feedback from around the world has been used to design a set of widgets that is more attractive and easier to use than ever before."

What does this mean ? That the next version has a revamped pixmap theme engine built in ? i.e. "superiour user-interface experience" or "attractive" ? I assume a theme has to be involved when using phrases like that since the statement perhaps implies immunity to individual preference via themes ? I maybe reading too much into it (or just hoping :).

What about the Nautilus project ? How might that affect or work with themes under GTK+ ?

Any help in the right direction before I pour time into it would really help,
Thanks so much everyone,
Tim.