GtkButtonBox and non-uniform button widths

Is there a way to tell a GtkButtonBox not to give the same width
to all the buttons it contains?

When one of the buttons has a label that is much longer than the
other buttons, all the buttons become very wide, and the button
box itself becomes exceedingly wide.

Sometimes, a developer will choose button labels that are of similar
length in his own language.  But the translations of those labels
in some other language may give labels of widely varying lengths.

I would need to change the behavior of a button box that is managed
by a GnomeMDI application.  I am developing with Gtk-- 1.2.3 and
Gnome-- 1.1.12.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip machinasapiens com>