Re: [spam score 10.00/10.0 -pobox] Newbie seeks advice (mixing text, widgets, images on a scrollable canvas)

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Pascal Haakmat <a haakmat chello nl> writes:
Basically, the application I am trying to write is a browser. That means I
need to render text, images and form elements onto some kind of canvas, and
have the entire canvas be scrollable. What I am ultimately looking for is
the best way to implement this using GTK, but I'll first explain where my
current hackish implementation breaks down.

Right now, I am using a GtkFixed container widget as my canvas. Text is
drawn directly onto the GtkFixed container widget and I add form elements
using gtk_fixed_put().

I would suggest using GtkLayout instead. Unlike GtkFixed, it has an
infinite scrolling area, and you won't need the viewport.

I have just one quick question; is it safe to have widgets overlap eachother
in a GtkLayout container? How about in general? (What I'm thinking is to add
a GtkDrawingArea to the GtkLayout that completely covers the GtkLayout, then
add GtkEntry widgets in the appropriate places).

Thanks,

[snipped remainder of illuminating response]