standard window and 'open/save' dialogue

Hi i am a teacher of adults with learning difficulties.

I am in the process of creating a variety of tools for use by people with
cognitive disability.
Using gtk to create a standard window is fine, however
in a talk I gave the following was picked up on "our students have enough
problems doing one thing at a time. they don't need a
resize/maximise/iconify buttons."
They also have difficulty navigating to small buttons.

I'd like to change the standard window to just 3 items:
a program icon, how do I specify this ie use my own icons
a title
a 32x32 close button.
all in gtk+
Soon I'd like to change the standard open/save dialogue, which again is far
too
complex for my clients. They only need to search/save in their home
directory, and initially do not even need a directory. Currently their
networked ms doesn't allow them to save at all, with any surety of finding
their work.

If you know a fine URL or book on this topic please advise me.
Honestly I'd prefer to find out myself how to use it.
If the resources aren't readilly to hand please mail me your code, but I
cope best with a project based approach like eric's, he just happens not to
have dealt with these topics.

jonathan chetwynd

jc signbrowser org uk
IT teacher (learning difficulty)