Tooltips in Column Buttons of a ctree not working?

I want to enable tooltips for the column widget of a GtkCTree.
Code snippet below. hui->casetree is the tree in question.

        for (i=1; i<cols; i++){
                gtk_tooltips_set_tip(hui->main_tips,
                                     gtk_clist_get_column_widget(
                                             GTK_CLIST(hui->casetree),i),
                                     hui->meth->descs[i-1],NULL);
        }

The buttons work (apart from the fact that I didn't yet connect any
callbacks) but the tips never appear. They do appear in other parts of the
application (same hui->main_tips group)

Is this a bug in GtkCList/GtkCTree or did I something wrong?

Nils

--
*New* *New* *New*    - on shellac records
   Windows HE        - see top 10 reasons to downgrade on