Again: string in gdkrgb

My program draws a picture using GdkRGB and associated gdk_draw_rgb_image. So,
I do not use a pixmap and associated gdk_draw_pixmap (because it is slower).

How can I add text into this picture?
gdk_draw_string  needs a pixmap (which I don't use), or it can draw strings
directly into the drawable, in that case there is no double-buffering. So,
this function is not really usable, I think.

Is there a way to add the strings into the rgb_buf, in which case
gdk_draw_rgb_image does do all the display work?

Rob.