Deleting text from a GtkExText

Has anyone else run in this problem? I am currently unable to delete text,
from within my program, that I insert into a gtkextext.  However, if I
manually move the cursor back into the text inserted then I am able to
manually delete the text.  Unfortunately, I need to delete text from within
the program since I need to set the widget as uneditable.  I am running
Solaris (sunOS 5.6) gtk+-1.2.8, glib-1.2.8, & gtkextext-0.0.21.  Any and all
help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance to those who respond.

                                -- Stupid Genius