Re: [gthumb-list] Display IPTC comment in the sidebar

On giu 06  9:00, grubernd wrote:
welcome to metadata hell. =)

I guessed it was such a mess :).

i would try to write to IPTC:Caption-Abstract with your metadata tools.
gthumb picks that up without a problem.

So far, I tried with this one. More details below.

also XMP:Description should be no problem, just like EXIF:UserComment.

and yes, gthumb writes the comment to those three fields, because they are
the ones that get used by most programs. three standards.

Ok, so this is expected.

you can not add new fields, but you can see more by switching to the
detailed view with the selector buttons at the bottom of the sidebar.

Yes, I had noticed that button.

in more than 20 years of fighting with and against all kinds of image
metadata, i never came across wrjpgcom until now.

Oh, this is very curious. Being an absolute noob, after some search I
found this pdf guide:

https://wiki.linux-ottawa.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:scanjpgwoes.pdf

It suggests using `wrjpgcom' and `mapivi' (between others).
I was guessing the added comment is in some IPTC field because of this
sentence, in the pdf:

``mapivi and wrjpgcom put the information in the (IPTC) field Comments''
(pag. 5).

Maybe this is uncorrect, even because `mapivi' itself lists the comments
added with `wrjpgcom' in the EXIF section.

This was my source, but there is no problem for me to switch to more
"standard" tools like the ones you suggest:

my take: switch to one of the standard tools for mangling image-metadata ..
exiftool or exiv2. maybe not as simple, but more consistent and compatible
with others.

I tried `exiv2' to modify `IPTC:Caption-Abstract'. At a first glance,
your notation `Caption-Abstract' slightly confused me, because the field
you mention seems to be

Iptc.Application2.Caption

in https://www.exiv2.org/iptc.html. But this is all right. In fact, I
added the comment this way:

exiv2 "-Mset Iptc.Application2.Caption Some comment" image.jpg

and the result is exactly what you suggested:

$ exiftool image.jpg
[...]
X Resolution                    : 1
Y Resolution                    : 1
Current IPTC Digest             : af9b535dc81a8e9c83bb3b774eb45c1c
Caption-Abstract                : Some comment
Image Width                     : 2048
Image Height                    : 1365
[...]

And, above all, `Some comment' is automatically shown in the
bottom-right angle of the `gthumb' window, as desired.
Thank you so much for your very detailed answer and for all your
suggestions!
Bye,

John