Re: [gthumb-list] feature creechers

Fixed links:

 http://phobrain.com/pr/home/schedulaid.html

  http://phobrain.com/pr/home/mypairs.html

On 4/16/19 4:51 AM, Bill Ross wrote:

Hi gthumber(s)! I have ideas that might excite.

The first I could implement myself, if handed a roadmap, half a pretzel, and a kick in the pants, unless it's already there and I missed it: as a download-from-camera option, allow setting a root dir for each camera, with a sub option for the prog to copy the camera layout (dirs 100, 200, 300..) or create folders by date-shot for the pics. I'm still going through Macos for this feature.

The second idea is to add pairing capabilities, the basics of which (e.g. sizing to match connecting edge, and criss-cross flips) can be inspired by / copied from my _javascript_:

    http://phobrain.com/pr/home/mypairs.html

A third idea I can contribute Java code for, if anyone wants to port it: create color histograms for photos, and search your photos using an example. E.g. I point the app at the top folder for all my pics, and if I have a pair like this:

    http://phobrain.com/pr/home/gallery/pair_stairs_close_far.jpg

I can dump it in, and usually the two individual photos will be in the top few matches. It also could sort photos usefully. Size usually has no effect, and the search is fast.

Finally, does anyone know Picture Window, once the go-to over Photoshop for fine-art photographers who wanted to use Windows? The author has retired and gives it away for free. If he'd contribute code and anyone wanted to integrate it, gthumb might leapfrog gimp even; it has full-on layers etc, and I find the UI much more intuitive than gimp, fwiw. I have bumped shells with the author over histogram indexing or similar, so could ask if anyone wanted to look at the code and felt shy. If you have Windows, try the color autocorrect on photos of clouds for interesting detail maximization through color balance. It fails miserably in some cases, in others it's like seeing extra wavelengths through the eyes of another species:

    http://www.dl-c.com/site/downloads/pwp-apps.php

Post-finally, I bet the author has all kinds of examples for testing his code that could be used as a starting point to train uglily-simple neural nets for some really powerful pushbutton editing moves, plus I'd like nets to detect angle of rotation to align verticals or horizontals in the photo - the angle correction would be fed to the normal rotation code. If anyone wants to hear more ideas, ink your quill and I'll spill,  and I can maybe do some stuff too. I think the neural net stuff for this purpose is pretty simple; here's what a couple of weeks' startup got me right away for my app, just using histograms:

    http://phobrain.com/pr/home/siagal.html

Background/qualifications:

Here's my 1st prog, written in Pascal in the 1980's for the new vt100 screens that replaced the punch card machines at school, about 3 years before usenet and maybe 10 before the web. Note the vibe that virtually no one had even seen a computer back then. Spreadsheets on Apple ]['s were the cutting edge, and I learned COBOL too, and still haven't received my gold watch.

    http://phobrain.com/pr/home/schedulaid.html

And here's what I'm working on now: an AI to reprogram humanity to metamorphose to sustainability by creating an individual language to reason with each person, using pairs of photos as vectors/syllables in an infinite-dimensional, edging-you-toward-godlike mind space. If gthumb gets a pair facility, I could contribute nets from it to propose interesting matches, as a narrow sliver leading quickly to world domination or some home-delivered food. :-)

    http://phobrain.com/pr/home/view.html

Thanks,

Bill