[gthumb-list] backup of edited file

Having given up on gwenview getting its plugin problems resolved and
based on the recommendation of Dmitri Popov from his ebook Linux Photography
I've joined the ranks of gthumb users.

The built in editing is pretty nice and convenient for the most used adjustments.

However.

I noticed it does not automatically back up the original file and over writes it.
I'm not finding a place to change this behavior.
Nor am I finding this discussed in the list archives.

Am I missing where to configure gthumb to prompt for a new filename, backup the existing file,
or take other protective measure for the original?

If so where do I go to make the change?

If not what is the reason for a non-reversible, potentially destructive file change?

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity