Re: [gthumb-list] gthumb 3.3.1 : gtk(3) theme broken?

Hi Paolo;

and first, thanks a bunch for your response.

Am 04.03.2014 11:01, schrieb Paolo Bacchilega:

>(a) The gthumb UI doesn't honour the GTK(3) theme settings anymore but
>displays in a somewhat dark, unconfigurable theme.

This is done on purpose, all the GNOME applications that show images or
videos use the dark variant of the gtk theme, for example Totem or EOG

Oh. Wasn't aware of this as I am using gthumb in XFCE not GNOME. Saw this behaviour in other applications and, to be honest, always considered it very very annoying - after all, what's the purpose in allowing users to set themes for their desktop if some applications decide to "know better"? In my environment, I usually have things set to a light theme with dark text because this is what is best readable / usable in day-to-day work. So far gthumb was pretty good here, yet at the moment it's extremely inconvenient because it's way too dark for my environment. :(

>(b) The menu bar, apart from the navigation / slideshow / tool buttons,
>is completely transparent and always makes me see through whichever
>window lies "under" the gthumb window (and be that the root window /
>desktop background).

gThumb 3.3.1 uses the headerbar so you shouldn't see a menu bar, the
headerbar is not supposed to be transparent so there must be some
problem in Debian, try to open other gtk+ applications that use the
headerbar and see if the problem is present in other applications as well.

I almost exclusively use GTK applications on my desktop but I can't tell which one uses headerbar. From looking at things, I _suppose_ eog does (which also is dark but does correctly render a non-transparent header bar) and I think evince does too (which also has a "correct" headerbar). However launched from a terminal, gthumb complains that...

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gthumb/extensions/libimage_rotation.so: undefined symbol: gth_image_viewer_page_get_type

... might this be relatd to that issue?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian