[gthumb-list] Help system not working

Greetings,

I have gthumb 2.14.1 installed on my FreeBSD 8.2 system.  It was installed
from the latest official port of gthumb to FreeBSD.  Unfortuantely, when I
click on "Help" and then "Contents" all I get is a little pop-up containing
the following error message:

        Could not display help
        Operation not supported

I thought that perhaps this might be due to some small issue that would be
cured if I just built and installed the latest gthumb release (2.14.3), so
I fetched the sources for those, set a few environment variables, ran
configure, and then tried to bulld from the 2.14.3 sources.

This, I'm sad to say, did not work.  I am attaching the tail end a log of my
attempt to build below, just in case anybody is interested to know that
gthumb does not currently build on FreeBSD.

The issue appears to be a compile time error in the following function
within the glib-utils.c file:

        static int
        _g_time_get_timezone_offset (struct tm *tm)
        {
                int offset;

                offset = -timezone;     <================= error flagged here
        #if defined (HAVE_TM_GMTOFF)
                offset = tm->tm_gmtoff;
        #elif defined (HAVE_TIMEZONE)
                if (tm->tm_isdst > 0) {
          #if defined (HAVE_ALTZONE)
                        offset = -altzone;
          #else /* !defined (HAVE_ALTZONE) */
                        offset = -timezone + 3600;
          #endif
                } else
                        offset = -timezone;
        #endif

                return offset;
        }

I have gone to some trouble to try to see what is causing this problem, but
as far as I can see the issue is quite simple... The variable `timezone'
is declared precisely nowhere. Also, there is a separate issue that on
FreeBSD, for some reason I have yet to figure out, the preprocessor symbol
HAVE_TM_GMTOFF is _not_ being set (although it appears that it should be).
The end result is that after preprocessing on FreeBSD, we have just this:

        static int
        _g_time_get_timezone_offset (struct tm *tm)
        {
         int offset;

         offset = -timezone;
        # 569 "glib-utils.c"
         return offset;
        }

Which is clearly sub-optimal.

Please note that prior to executing both ther configure and gmake steps for
my build of gthumb, I had previously placed the following commands into my
~/.login file and then I had source'd that file.  (I use C shell, by the way.)

   setenv CFLAGS '-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/gconf/2'
   setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib

   setenv GTHUMB_CFLAGS '-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/gconf/2'
   setenv GTHUMB_LIBS -L/usr/local/lib

(Please note also that the files gconf.h and gconf-client.h are present on
my system in the /usr/local//include/gconf/2/gconf directory, where, I presume,
some prior install I had done must have decided to put them.)

Finally, here is the compile time error I get while building 2.14.3:

gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-dlg-personalize-filters.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-dlg-preferences.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-dlg-preferences-extensions.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-dlg-sort-order.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-dom.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-gconf-utils.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-gio-utils.o
gcc: --as-needed: linker input file unused because linking not done
  CC     gthumb-glib-utils.o
glib-utils.c: In function '_g_time_get_timezone_offset':
glib-utils.c:555: error: wrong type argument to unary minus
gmake[3]: *** [gthumb-glib-utils.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/rfg/free/gthumb/gthumb-2.14.3/gthumb'
gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/rfg/free/gthumb/gthumb-2.14.3/gthumb'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/rfg/free/gthumb/gthumb-2.14.3'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

If someone could tell me where the variable `timezone' is _supposed_ to be
declared, I would much appreciate it.

Also, of course, if anyone knows how to get the gthumb help system to actually
work, even if only a little, in the official FreeBSD port of 2.14.1, then
I would appreciate that information also.

Regards,
rfg