[gthumb-list] Starting in $PWD automatically?

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 which comes with gthumb 2.13.1. It used to be that if I typed "gthumb" from an xterm, it would start in the current working directly, which is very convenient for actions such as viewing the photographs I've just copied off my camera:

$ mkdir ~/photos/2011/08/29
$ cd $_
$ cp -a /usb/dcim/1000/dsc*.jpg .
$ gthumb

I notice that gthumb 2.13.1 now starts in either the last directory used, or some fixed directory. I don't see an option to start in the current directory. Is there a configuration setting to do this?