[gthumb-list] .comments files

I've been using the gThumb 2.10.11 provided with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
extensively - great software!  However, I just built gThumb 2.11.92, and
noticed that when I use it my comments/tags aren't visible.

I've turned off the "Store metadata inside files if possible" in the
gThumb 2.11.92 preferences, and verified that if I assign a comment/tag
it gets stored in a .comments directory.

Comparing the .comments files created with both versions of the
software, I notice that 2.10 creates gzip-compressed files whereas 2.11
creates uncompressed files.  Is this a regression, or will I need to
convert all my .comments files going forward?

Many thanks,
Tim