Re: [gthumb-list] Hi, and a small patch

Il 18/04/2010 23:47, Stefano Pettini ha scritto:
Dear all,

I'm Stefano, I'm new here and I'd like to contribute to the
development of gthumb.

So, I attach my first patch, nothing important, just a very small
rearrangement of some exif attributes in the properties list of a
file.

This is just to test if my gthumb development directory and git
environment are working good.

Since I'm new to git too, I also have a question about it: I cloned
the repository with the git clone command, anonymously. Then I
implemented the changes and committed (locally). I suppose I can't
push the changes back, so I attach you the diff, made by git diff.
Then if ok you guys integrate the patch and at the next commit I'll
get my changes back, that will probably generate some kind conflicts
that I won't be able to solve :-)

Is there a better way to work? Can't somehow I give you the whole git
commit, not the diff, like using git push but saving the commit to a
file so I can attach it? In this case you'd integrate the commit and
this will be detected during next update (I hope!).

I'm really new to git and I come from the svn world. Tell me if I'm wrong.

You can read the "patch workflow" description at the end of this document:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html

Basically you have to create a local branch for the topic you want to
work on (search "topic branches" in the document above) and then create
the patches using the command:

git format-patch -M origin/master..topic

where "topic" is the local branch you created.

When the patches are applied upstream you resync your master branch with
the origin master branch, using the command:

git pull --rebase

this won't create any conflict because you made the changes in the
"topic" branch, that can now be deleted using the command:

git branch -d topic

- Paolo