Re: [gthumb-list] directories and files structure

On 06/11/2009 10:00 AM, Paolo Benvenuto wrote:
I can't find anything explaing the source code structure. I see there is
code in both src and libgthumb directories... what is the one and what
the other?

The src folder holds most of the code used to build the user-visible dialogs. (That's why many of the files have "dlg" in the name).

The libgthumb folder holds the rest of the code.

I wasn't the original author, so I don't know what the original planning was.

In libgthumb there are various files with similar names and apparently
similar functions: gth-file-list.c, ght-file-view.c,
gth-file-view-list.c, gth-file-view-thumbs.c... why?

Because they each do something different. For instance, one constructs the file list in the "View as Slides" mode, and one constructs the file list in the "View As List" mode. The algorithms for arranging and placing the photos in those modes are different, so they go in different files.

It is confusing, and it does take a long time to master those parts of code.

Don't be discouraged though. Many bugs have simple fixes. Start with easy ones, like renaming dialogs. After a period of doing that, you start to become familiar with the layout of the code, and you can work on more complicated bugs.

That's how I started contributing to gThumb.

Is there some code documentation more?

No. You just have to read the source code.