Re: [alex stt org: gtetrinet and "qualified client"]

Alex Lock <alex stt org> writes:

> On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 03:56 PM, Dani Carbonell wrote:
>
> > El sáb, 04-10-2003 a las 00:01, Jordi Mallach escribió:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Alex is working on a Cocoa tetrinet client (woot!) but is having
> >> problems with the client check at tetrinet.org. Can anyone help?
> >
> > I have not many idea about the tetrinet protocol, but I'm almost sure
> > that the various "tests" you see when you connect to a tetrinet server
> > are meant to catch the "cheater" clients. Maybe the playerlost message
> > is buggy, or maybe it's just a matter of timing, I just don't know :(
> > Try to reach the tetrinet.org admins and ask them about your problem.
> > You can also try to verify your client in tetridome.com, maybe that can
> > help you. Rock on !!
>
> I've narrowed it down (I think) to my sendfield method...
>
> When sending the entire field, the format is absolutely correct...
> sending the differential field is a different story altogether.  The
> problem stems from my (seeming) lack of understanding of the
> differential sendfield, and what (exactly) it is sending to the server.

 Well you can always send a full field, a differential is done by...

foreach tile
    ADD_TILE_MARKER
    foreach row
        foreach column
            if (tile different)
                 ADD_DIFFERENCE

ADD_TILE_MARKER is the ASCII character '!' plus the tile number
(0-14). Note that you _only_ add this is there is a difference for
that tile number.

ADD_DIFFERENCE is the encoded column number followed by the encoded
row number. Encoding is done by adding the ASCII character '3' to the
value.

 So a zero difference is no characters, a difference of a new tile 0
being at the bottom leftmost column would be "!33", and a difference
of tile 2 being at the next to last row and in the "drop" column for
a tetris (the left of the middle two columns, row 6 of 12) is "#49".

 Hope that helps.

--
James Antill -- james and org
Need an efficient and powerful string library for C?