Re: Last changes before pushing 0.2.0

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 09:31 +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:

> While appreciating the cleanups I wonder if it's a good idea to rush
> them into a stable release already: By declaring them as stable you
> give
> a commitment for that API - without others than you having reviewed
> and
> tested it in practise.

Yes, I'm aware the few time I'm giving. The point is that Release Team
asked me about it, because they are freezing API next August 20th. And
I'll take a couple of weeks of holidays before.

So yes, I apology for it. I hope to do it better next time.

But at the same time, while lot of changes happened, and the API
changed, actually those changes are not big ones in terms of API.

If you check the new one, you'll see it is pretty similar to the
previous one, but with some minor changes. In fact, I have ported
application test from master to 0.2.0 very quickly, just a matter of
search & replace.

And the same with plugins: if you implement a media source the new code
is almost a matter of renaming functions, and knowing that metadata()
function is called resolve(); the same for metadata source.

The more complex part is porting something that is a plugin that
provides a media and metadata sources, as Tracker. In this case, you can
merge code, which makes things easier.

There is no big changes in API in terms of concepts, so let's hope there
is no big problems.

> Anyway, if you stick to them for 0.2 and GNOME 3.6: What's your ETA
> for
> landing them at gnome master?

My aim is to push everything in master during Monday or Tuesday, and
delay the release/tagging until Friday, so we can check works fine
before the release.

	J.A.