Re: RFC: On date and time

On 03/06/2011 10:55, Iago Toral wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:23:56 +0200, "Juan A. Suarez Romero"
> <jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:43 +0200, Guillaume Emont wrote:
>>> Two metadata keys hold dates:
>>>  - GRL_METADATA_KEY_DATE, "Publishing or recording date"
>>>  - GRL_METADATA_KEY_CREATION_DATE, "Creation date"
>>
>> Now that you mention this question, maybe we should re-consider the
>> GRL_METADATA_KEY_DATE. Currently, it is an ambiguous key: while
>> CREATION_DATE has an explicit meaning, the date where the element was
>> created, it's not the same in the case of DATE. Of course, documentation
>> says "publishing or recording date", but this meaning is not implicit in
>> the key name. Moreover, publishing date can be very different than
>> recording date (and to be honest, recording date resembles quite a lot
>> to creation date).
>
> Actually, the recording date must be the creation date, how could it be
> different? :)
>
>> My suggestion is to drop the GRL_METADATA_KEY_DATE and replace it by
>> other less ambiguous keys, like GRL_METADATA_KEY_PUBLISHED_DATE (not
>> sure if we need this key right now) or
>> GRL_METADATA_KEY_MODIFICATION_DATE.
>
> I would be in favour of renaming _DATE to PUBLISING_DATE now. I would
> not care for a MODIFICATION_DATE right now though.
I would be in the idea of adding keys when we need them. Right now, I'd
say we need _PUBLISHING_DATE, _CREATION_DATE and maybe _MODIFICATION_DATE.
For reference, I've had a look in the ontologies that tracker uses, and
found the following date/time related keys:
nie:contentAccessed
nie:contentCreated
nie:contentLastModified
nfo:fileLastAccessed
nfo:fileLastModified

The distinction between publication and creation goes even beyond that,
but might be useful nevertheless: these ontologies seem very "file
system oriented" on that...

Guij