Re: RFC: On date and time

Hi,
On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:43:39 +0200, Guillaume Emont <guijemont igalia com> wrote:
(...)
The solution I propose to solve these issues, and will start
implementing right now unless some people come up with better proposals,
is the following:

- Store the _DATE and _CREATION_DATE keys as GDateTime. Since GDateTime
is generally not available/not working in language bindings, some
wrappers will be provided to be able to set them with strings (like it is done currently, except that format checking will be done immediately)
 - Add a GRL_METADATA_KEY_RELEASE_YEAR key that would contain an
integer. Some other "imprecise" date keys might be needed (please
suggest), but this is the only one I could think of for now. That would cover things like the release year of a music album/track or the release
year of a film.

Sounds reasonable.

One question on how this should work, since _DATE and _RELEASE_YEAR are very related.
Are plugin developers going to do:

grl_media_set_creation_date (date)
grl_media_set_release_year (YEAR(date))

or are we going to provide something like this instead?:

plugin developer only does:
grl_media_set_creation_date (date);

and then grl_media_get_release_year just gets the year from the release date.

Iago