Re: Yet another API evolution: multi-valued GrlData

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:11:52 +0100, Guillaume Emont <gemont igalia com> wrote:
On 25/01/2011 08:59, Iago Toral wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:02:32 +0100, Guillaume Emont
<gemont igalia com> wrote:
(...)
The methods grl_data_set*() would change meaning, in that they will
prepend a value to the list of value. The "old" getters will get the
first value of the list.

just a nitpick, but maybe they should actually append instead of
prepend. I guess many times only the first value will be used by apps and in these cases, I would like the first value in the list to be the first value provided by the service, which, I guess, could be the most
significant in many situations.
The idea behind prepending, is that it automatically provides backwards compatibility: the first value of the list would behave exactly like the
only value of a monovalued property

I guess I am missing something here because I think it is actually the other way around.

Right now plugins only implement support for one value, so, likely, they would just put the first one they get from the serviceand skip the others. This means the first value they get from the service is the one the apps are getting now. If we append more values, that won't alter the result, however if we prepend, the value apps will get instead is the last value we get from the service.

But in any case, more than backwards compatibility I am interested in apps getting the most representative value, which I guess would be the first one many situations.

Iago