Re: Patch preview: cancel notification

Hi Guillaume,

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 07:03:03 +0000, Iago Toral <itoral igalia com> wrote:
On Thu,  3 Feb 2011 17:42:00 +0100, Guillaume Emont
<gemont igalia com> wrote:
Here is what I have started for cancel notification. The base is there, and
proper cancellation notification should be implemented for browse.
I haven't tested it in any way, it's not finished code.

The reason I'm posting it, is to check I'm "on the right track",
especially for
patch 3/3. The (asynchronous) code around that is not trivial, so, people who
understand it, please have a look at patch 3, and comment[1]. In the
meantime,
I'll continue my work in the same fashion for the other operations.

Guij

[1] Yes Iago, I'm looking at you ;)

Sure, will check it out and give you feedback, but I'll need some
time (I am really busy these days).

I glanced at your patches and yes, at least I can say you are on the right track. I think you covered all cases, but I guess the only way to know for sure is testing.

I suggest you test your cancellation patches with grilo-test-ui: while a browse/search/query operation is ongoing, click on the "back" button, that should issue a cancel. If cancellation is properly executed, then you should see two things happening:

1) grilo-test-ui should log the error
2) No results from the cancelled operation should be added to the tree view once you have gone back.

Also, try playing with plugins that use the auto-split (for example, the youtube plugin sets auto-split in 50 elements, so you can try browsing chunks of 100 items and cancelling to check if cancellation works ok also in this scenario).

Iago