Re: gnome integration plan

On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:38:42 +0200, "Juan A. Suarez Romero"
<jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 01:57 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>   First of all, many congratulations on progress so far. If i recall
>> correctly, the plan for world domination includes writing grilo
>> plugins for all relevant gnome applications (rhythmbox, totem,
>> nautilus etc).  I know that you guys have many things do so I am not
>> writing this mail to put any pressure or anything. only wondering if
>> there is a schedule planned for this work?
>>

> We don't have a plan written in stone, but for sure we have one in our
> mind ;)
>
> Our plan regarding that issue is:
>
> a) Finish rygel-grilo, which will expose Grilo content in DBus, so other
> applications can access it (see [1]). As you know, this program
> implements a spec[2] that have been changed quite a lot during last
> times, so everytime I was almost to finish the implementation, spec
> changed. Hope that now it is more stable.
>
> b) Rygel-grilo will come with a small library that will help to
> implement both producers and consumers following spec[2]. Actually,
> rygel-grilo is using this library to produce content. Next step will be
> to write a 'consumer' plugin for Totem.
>
> c) Unfortunately, we do not have too much resources to try to write
> plugins for other applications. We prefer to focus more in improving
> Grilo and left these plugins for contributors. As you know, we proposed
> a couple of them in GNOME GSoC, which unfortunately nobody took. Anyway,
> we hope that someone would interested in doing it (even maybe I might do
> it if I have enough spare time ;)). We would give our support as much as
> possible.
>
> I think Iago can confirm this plan, and give his opinion.

Yeah, the idea is to finish first a) & b) and then write the plugin for Totem.
As for other apps, Joaquim told me he would be interested in writing the Rhythmbox
plugin, but first he needs an implementation of b) that's more or less stable,
that was some time ago though I hope he still wants to do it :). Also, he mentioned
we would prefer to write it in Python but for that we should improve our introspection
support and see how that works for Python.

Iago