GooCanvasTable background color

Hello

I'm trying to use GooCanvasTable to layout some Canvas items (essentially text items).
I would like to set a common background for all these items, so I have set the "fill-color" property of my table item. But it looks like the filling of the table is done after the children are painted, to I get a simple filled rectangle, I don't see the children.

Is there any way to tell table to paint its fill color before painting the children ? I tried with the lower / raise methods but without success

Thanks in advance,

Eric