Issue getting exact image coordinates during image animation.

I am having a problem with GooCanvasImage

I am trying to get the x and y coordinates of the image while it is undergoing animation.

I set up the image and animate it to move from the top of the screen to the bottom.

When I call $canvas_image->get('y') in my perl code. It always returns the original starting y coordinate of image, not its current location
during its animation.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to call an update function or something similar beforehand?  Would a code example help?

Thanks for any help.

Marc