Re: Generic positioning

Armin Burgmeier wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:47 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:38 +0100, Armin Burgmeier wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:52 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 11:33 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
I would think that if people see generic x, y, width & height properties
then they will expect them to refer to the top-left coordinate and the
exact width & height of the item.
I don't personally feel that's necessary, but I guess we can achieve
that. Armin, could you try that, please?
Yes, but as explained in the bug this would break compatibility for
items that already have "x" and "y" and behave differently (such as
GooCanvasText or GooCanvasWidget when the "anchor" property is not
GTK_ANCHOR_NW).
What does the anchor default to? Maybe we can just change the default to
get the expected behaviour in most cases. And maybe Damien would accept
that change in some future parallel-install version?

It does even default to GTK_ANCHOR_NW. So it seems to be only a minor
issue anyway. Problems arise only when people rely on the generic
x/y/width/height behaviour but change the anchor of such items.

Armin

What about providing an x, y, width, height variant of the stock canvas items, a separate set of generic-positioning properties, or a separate interface for setting those properties. I agree that the transform/scale mechanism isn't always what you want because of issues like outline thickness.

On the other hand, the main reason for having this is to simplify implementation of containers, and we already have an interface for that. Either use group if you don't care about relative position, use table if you want everything in neat rows and columns, or write your own container if you want to do something wacky.