Re: [GOK] gok and gnome 3.0

Hi,

Interesting thread.

Ben Konrath wrote:
Hi Gerd,
I'd also be in favor of moving GOK to Python. I don't have any
experience with pyatspi, but from the list above this seems like a good
way forward. It would also be an opportunity to renew the code base in
general and make it easier to integrate new features.

Great! Barring any strong opinions to counter all our pro-python
chatter, I'll start working on this.

Since you are looking to port gok to python, you might be interested in
having a look at the onscreen keyboard onboard:
- It is written in python (except the part about the virtual codes)
- It uses gconf
- It uses gettext for translation

It does not use at-spi, as it does not offer any features
requiring it. In fact, at the moment it is a simple onscreen keyboard
that fits the requirements of pointer users; it does not have switch
support, nor does it offer gui grabbing and the other advanced features
of gok.

Perhaps it could make sense to create a new branch in onboard with the
aim of letting it evolve to become the "python-gok" instead of starting
from scratch; but I don't have the knowledge to evaluate whether onboard
could really be a good candidate for it.

Here is onboard:
https://launchpad.net/onboard

Here is virtkey that onboard uses to create the virtual keypresses:
https://launchpad.net/virtkey

Cheers

Francesco