Re: to csv or not to csv

On 10/4/20 9:02 PM, John Denker via gnumeric-list wrote:
In another forum  Morten Welinder commented:

The first rule of csv files is "don't use csv files".
That scares me.  In just one of my directories, I just now counted
two dozen .csv files created in the last 24 hours.  A total of 12
megabytes today, just in this one directory.  There are others.

My professional life depends on .csv files that I get from various
sources. Data is available to me in that format, and often no other.

    For what it's worth, I routinely output .csv files from FORTRAN or Pascal programs, for automatic import and export from spreadsheets.  I was never able to import consistently into Excel.  As I recall, the main problem was due to interpretation of text fields that happen to contain separators.  For my application, reliability is essential, but I never managed to find a set of rules that worked consistently.

    Consequently, I standardized on Gnumeric.  With a little experimentation, the rules seemed simple and consistent, and I have never had a problem with import or export.  I have not had experience with files from outside my lab, however.

--

Rex Couture, Ph. D.
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences

Voice:  (314) 935-4194