how to tally rows and columns for 2 variables?

Hi all,

I have a column and row near the beginning of my spreadsheets that counts each x i insert into the cells of that column or row. For that i use the formula =countif(G3:G2030,"x") for the G column, and etc. Suddenly i have need to also count any y in that table. I tried adding to the formula so that it reads =countif(G3:G2030,"x","y"), but get the error that there's too many variables for the countif statement. I'm sure there's a simple fix that i just can't seem to ferret out. Any ideas much appreciated!

bill