Re: gnumeric spreadsheet newbie questions

Dave,

I'd do this in two steps.

1) In column C calculate the hour value for each reading. In cell C2
enter =DATE(YEAR($A2),MONTH($A2),DAY($A2))+TIME(HOUR($A2),0,0) and
copy it down the column.

2) In column D sum all the readings that match the hour value for the
current reading. Enter this in cell D2 then copy it down the column
=SUMIF($C$2:$C$30000,$C2,$B$2:$B$30000).

I haven't tested any of this, but I hope it's close enough to get you
started. You'll need to tweak the formulas to cover the ranges of
cells with readings (or, even better, define named ranges for these if
you know how to do that).

- olly