Re: A plea from a semi-newbie

You need a scatter (XY) plot, not a line plot. I'm pretty sure that my
solution works. Can you provide me a sample file?

Le jeudi 15 janvier 2015 à 16:24 -0700, rodgos a écrit :
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that it will help. My problem is two
fold. First, I require the x axis to be determined from the data in two
columns. This is of a date and time nature. The total time for the graph, is
one calendar month, where column A contains data as to the date, in the
format of DD/MM/YYYY. Column B contains data as to time, in the format
HH:MM:SS. Each row contains data of elapsed time at intervals of 5 minutes,
giving a number of rows in the region of 9000, odd. It is no good working
out a number to represent the number of seconds (the smallest time unit)
since the X axis label has to be in the format DD/MM/YY. The Y axis is to
display temperature, in the range 0 to100 DegF
If I highlight all the data and create a (line) graph, it merely creates a
graph with the X axis as date, from 1890 to 2020!!, tagged every 10 years,
and a Y axis, consisting only of row numbers.
Originally, some five years or so back, I had all this worked out.
Unfortunately following a major disk crash, I lost all the data, both raw
and in spreadsheet form, but fortunately the hard copy, which was the end
product is intact, but since it is paper, I cannot interrogate it to
ascertain, now, how I did it. My only recollection, is that in Gnumeric, it
was quite simple. As I recollect, as soon as I had a working system I saved
a version without date as a template, which alas is no more.
In addition, the graph also indicated rainfall, as a bar chart, scaled to
fit in with the temperature range. Since this data had to be entered
manually, it was the greater chore. So the left hand X axis indicator
registered the temperature, and another, to the right indicated rainfall.