Re: Is Gnome associated with Gnumeric

Hello,

thrilled you like Gnumeric!

If you are running on windows, I think Morten just released a new version for that so you might be able to run the latest and greatest. It seems to be here:
  https://people.gnome.org/~mortenw/gnumeric/
with the latest ...1.12.12.2014... You might try running that.

Your confusion about the status of Gnumeric in Gnome is justified. Gnumeric is definately part of the larger Gnome Project, but is not part of the Gnome Desktop. Gnumeric is part of something loosely called 'Gnome Office' and is run under the Gnome umbrella. However, since it is not strictly needed, Gnumeric is not part of the 'Gnome Desktop'.

Gnumeric was started by some of the folk who started the Gnome project, at around the same time, using the same technologies. Gnumeric has been a testing ground for a lot of the Gtk and Gnome technologies since then. However, Gnome proper is merely the desktop.

As far as donations are concerned, you should wait to hear from others on this list. There may be a way to give money directly to the project although that may be hard since there is, as you saw, no current way of doing this. If you don't hear a better suggestion in the near future, you could give your contribution to the Gnome project since that does provide resources and is the overarching project. Thanks for your generosity and support!

keep on gnomin',
  ~adrian