Re: How do I install gnumeric on Debian wheezy?

I know this is really basic stuff but on putting my password in after sudo apt-get update I got the response steve (ie me) is not in the subdoers file. This incident will be reported. Any guidance here would be very much appreciated. I fully intend to read up on this stuff but getting gnumeric is a bit urgent for me as my business accounts are on it.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve pearwood info> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 11:37:03AM +0100, Steve Greig wrote:
> I have been using gnumeric for year on Windows. I just started using Linux
> after a long gap and also on a different distro so I am a bit out of my
> depth. One of the most important things for me is to have gnumeric. I can't
> see it already installed and I cant find Synaptic which I have used a
> couple of years ago. I would really appreciate some advice on how to
> install gnumeric on my Debian wheezy OS. I have used the command line
> before but am very rusty on it.

I don't have wheezy here to test, but the following ought to work. If
you have sudo on your account:

sudo aptitude install -P ~n^gnumeric

otherwise su to the root user first:

su -
aptitude install -P ~n^gnumeric

This ought to install the gnumeric application, common files,
documentation, and standard plugins. If you prefer to manually choose
which to install:

aptitude search gnumeric
aptitude install [name of package from above]

(remember to use sudo or su as needed).

--
Steven