How can I recover a gnumeric file?

Hello,

I'm trying to open a gnumeric file that had worked in the past for me.
Opening the file via `xdg-open` fails silently. Opening the file with
`gnumeric /path/to/file.gnumeric` freezes the command line and fails
silently. Launching Gnumeric first, then opening the file from within
the program causes the "Reading fileā€¦" progress bar to freeze while loading.

I'm happy to try and find the cause of this bug, but I have some
important files that I need to extract from the gnumeric file urgently.
Is there a way to recover the contents of the file? I tried opening with
a plain-text editor, but the contents were garbled. Similarly,
Libreoffice Calc didn't know about this format.

Cheers,
Pete.

Kubuntu 13.04
Gnumeric 1.12.1