Re: matrix with only 1 numbers

hehe, I like it.

But can I just float the idea that at the point you don't want to store things visibly in a spreadsheet that using {python,perl,ruby,haskell,ocml,scala} is a better way to go than using a spreadsheet?

What do you think? Crazy talk?

On 25 July 2012 23:24, Andreas Guelzow <aguelzow pyrshep ca> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 14:18 +0200, Frederic Parrenin wrote:

> Is there a way to create a nxm matrix with only '1' numbers inside?
> (a bit like the munit(n) function)

Hal's suggestion assumes that you want to store the matrix directly on
the sheet and the size is determined by the size of the selection.

If you want to create an 3 by 3 matrix of 1s for use in a formula
without storing it first on a sheet you can use
((munit(3)+1)-munit(3))

Non-square matrices are more difficult. I can get a 3 by 2 matrix via
(array(1,1,1)*transpose(array(1,1)))

If I want to create a large matrix, say 100 by 50 without listing a
block of 100 1s and another of 50 1s I would use:

=array(row(A1:A100)/row(A1:A100))*transpose(array(row(A1:A50)/row(A1:A50)))

I hope that helps

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA